What I thought would be one of the easier Experimentals, became one of the more challenging.
My friend Andrew Turner from valley wine merchants across the street, gave me a mint condition menu from Charlie Trotters for Christmas. It so happened it was from a Wednesday in aug of 95, and we thought, why not recreate it? Coincidentally that was where Jessica and I had our honeymoon dinner, and I was always, of course, a huge fan of his work.
I thought using a menu another chef had written would be easier, but trying to take a great chefs collection of dishes, and trying to give them justice and make them our own is incredibly challenging.
Throughout the creative process of something isn’t organically coming together there’s always the flexibility of going in a different direction, this was taking a seven to ten word description and realizing how those elements come together for us.
Follow the Experimental Experience
CHARLIE TROTTER – MENU
- Marinated yellowfin tuna with caviar creme fraiche, preserved papaya, daikon pulped avocado & spice herb sauce
- Sea bass with manilla clams, oven dried tomatoes, butter radishes, fennel sauce & mustard vinaigrette
- Sonoma foie gras & Maine lobster with yucca, tiny beets, braised collard greens & red wine essence
- California pigeon breast with truffled potato ravioli, tiny carrots & sweetbreads
- Honeydew melon soup with lime-yogurt, cantaloupe & watermelon sorbets
- Vanilla creme brûlée tart with peaches and bing cherries